Friday, October 28, 2011

Top 100 Movies of All-Time (19-11)

     Only doing 19-11 for this post because I want to save the top 10 for tomorrow.
100-90
89-80
79-70
69-60
59-50
49-40
39-30
29-20
19-11...


19 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
I'm a Harry Potter nut.  This is my favorite of the franchise, this is the movie where it really began to mature.  It took that next step from happy-go-lucky little wizard dude beating mean old evil dude, to a bunch of badass epic tales of good vs. evil.  Also, this was the movie where Hermione got hot, did I mention I approve of Hermione on screen?  I love this movie for another particular reason, the story is absolutely perfect for a sports loving freak like me.  The premise of this movie is based entirely around competition, which is something that I live to watch and enjoy.  Also, I feel the need to point out, another thing that greatly enhances this movie's appeal is the fact that *spoiler* the douche bag vampire twat from Twilight, Robert Pattinson gets killed.  I think we can all approve of that.


18 - Waiting... (2005)
Ryan Reynolds, Justin Long, Anna Faris, David, Koechner, Dane Cook, Andy Milonakis, & the kid who played Sam in Freaks and Geeks (John Francis Daley)?  Sign me up.  It's a pretty simple story of Monty (Reynolds) introducing the newly hired guy, Mitch (Daley) to the restaurant he works at.  It's a pretty hilarious movie with a reoccurring cast of some seriously funny people.  I have a friend who works at a restaurant and despite the silliness & outlandishness of the film, it's actually quite accurate.  So I must reiterate what Ryan Reynolds says at one point, "Don't FUCK with the people who handle your food."

17 - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
I've admittedly said this a number of times throughout the top 100 countdown, but this is definitely one of those movies made for me.  Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon starts off as a mockumentary of 3 graduate school students, Taylor (Angela Goethals), Doug (Ben Pace), & Todd (Britain Spellings) as they document the preparations and story of serial killer, Leslie Vernon (Nathan Baesel).  The film is surprisingly funny and uses it effectively, all the while having that uncomfortable eeriness lingering, never letting you really get situated with what's being presented. The introduction of the character Doc Halloran (played by Freddy Krueger himself, Robert Englund) had me pretty giddy.  About 75% through the movie, it transfers from being shot mockumentary style to how a normal movie is shot as the film crew has become part of the story.  This movie creates a world where Michael Myer, Freddy Krueger, & Jason Voorhees all exist, this is a world I wish to live in.

16 - Scream 4 (2011)
This was a movie I was surprised made it into the top 16.  When I looked at my list, I went right to number 16 and there it was.  I stopped and thought to myself "Is this really a movie I would want to say is a top 16 favorite movie of all-time?" The answer is yes.  I know many people reading this list would instantly scoff & balk at the notion that a 4th movie in a horror franchise being on anybody's all-time favorite movies list, but I don't care.  I was thoroughly entertained while watching this movie and personally loved the twist ending (a Scream movie has a twist ending?!?  No way!) One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to modern horror movies is the complete lack of believable actors/actresses portraying their roles.  A lot of horror movies, especially slashers, involve teenagers as the main target.  I'm sick and tired of watching a horror movie and seeing all the actors/actresses from the CW network (the remake of Friday the 13th is the biggest culprit of this ongoing trend) While Scream 4 featured plenty of well-known young performers, I felt like they all pulled off the idea of being in high school.  My favorite part of the Scream series is the reoccurring faces in all 4 movies.  David Arquette, Courtney Cox, & Neve Campbell are the most important characters in the franchise and have been in every single movie, that is VERY RARE in the horror movie genre.  I applaud the fact that director Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson stood by their creation all this time and watched it grow.

15 - The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Okay, I'll admit, I'm a sucker for mockumentary horror films.  The sense of raw realness you get while watching it provides an aspect that regularly shot films can't match.  I wasn't very aware of this movie when it came out, so I didn't get caught up in all the hype, I wish I would have though.  I was only 8 years old when this movie was released and there was no chance I was going to see it.  I am positive, if this movie came out now, I would completely get sucked up into the hype and would be chomping at the bit to see it.  I love the original theatrical trailer, such little information given, I hate when trailers basically give away the entire plot of a movie.  This trailer, and eventually the movie itself, left everything up to your imagination.  Sure frightening sequences occurred throughout the movie, but it was the type of movie that allowed your imagination to run wild.  Believe me, when you're a person like me, with an exuberant imagination, this is the type of movie that captivates you.  The final several minutes are so eerie and chilling, you can't look away from the screen.

14 - Dazed and Confused (1993)
This movie came out when I was 2 years old, it's based off the 70s culture that I obviously have no personal experience with, features some of the top bands from that era (music I don't really like), and a focus on drinking/smoking (which I do neither of).  And yet, I still adore this film.  I give huge credit to the cast, Jason London as Randall "Pink" Floyd, Wiley Wiggins as Mitch Kramer (aka Lil' Tim Lincecum), Rory Cochrane as Slater, Sasha Jenson as Don, Michelle Burke as Jodi Kramer, Adam Goldberg as Mike Newhouse, Anthony Rapp as Tony, Marissa Ribisi as Cynthia, Shawn Andrews as Kevin, Cole Hauser as Benny, Mila Jovovich as Michelle, Joey Lauren Adams as Simone, & Ben Affleck as Fred tell the story of a bunch of friends hanging out for a night brilliantly.  Save for a few of them, most of that cast is only well-known for being in this movie, but they picked a hell of a flick to make their stamps on.  It's definitely one of those movies that gathered a cult following and is going to be passed down from generation to generation.

13 - Toy Story 3 (2010)
Who didn't squeal cheers of joy when they saw the trailer for this movie?  Toy Story 3 is absolutely the best way they could have ended the Toy Story trilogy.  Word on the street is that there could be a 4th one, which may dampen the ending of this movie a little bit, but I'll always love it for actually making me teary eyed in the theaters.  It's beautiful and hilarious, it does the job of channeling that little kid in you who couldn't get enough of Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) & Woody (Tom Hanks).  All of our favorites return along with Buzz & Woody, with Jessie (Joan Cusack), Mr. Potato Head (Don Rickles), Rex (Wallace Shawn), & Hamm (John Ratzenberger).  Credit also goes to Blake Clark who filled in for the late Jim Varney spectacularly as Slinky Dog.  Now then, you may not know their names, but I felt it necessary to acknowledge them simply because Toy Story is one of the best franchises of the past 20 years and without them, it wouldn't have been possible.  Toy Story grew up with my generation & I, could still sit down and watch all 3 movies on DVD any day and be completely enthralled.

12 - Psycho (1960)
Remember when I said it took me far too long to see Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory?  Well it's damn near unforgivable when I say how long it took me to see this classic horror movie.  The first time I saw Psycho was this past August, I always assumed I probably wouldn't like it that much.  Boy was I wrong.  This movie is the epitome of a classic horror movie, one of the best ever made.  Alfred Hitchcock is a legend for a reason.  The ending is one of my favorite twists of all-time and I am assuredly getting this movie on DVD, for I believe my collection is not complete unless I add this iconic flick.  Seriously, if you call yourself a horror fan and you've never seen this movie, there's something wrong with you.

11 - Clerks II (2006)
Let me start off by saying that as everyone knows by now, Kevin Smith, director of this movie, is in fact my favorite director of all-time.  I love most of his work and I really believe Clerks II is the movie where he really put it all together.  There's a reason I proudly display a Kevin Smith autographed movie poster of Clerks II above my bed.  It's still that raunchy and crude hilarious movie that we all know and love from Kevin Smith, but with a touch of maturity and understanding.  The characters actually grew up a bit and it's quite evident if you follow all of his work.  Randall, Dante, Jay, & Silent Bob all have me laughing throughout this movie and I truly hope that this is indeed the final installment with these characters like Kevin Smith proclaimed.  It was a perfect ending for Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment