Sunday, November 20, 2011

Top 15 Favorite Songs by...BLINK-182

     Up very early today after going to sleep while the world was still buzzing.  I was listening to my iPod in bed and a new idea sparked in my mind.  I'm going to do a series of posts over the next couple weeks, tributes to my favorite bands as I list my top 15 songs by them.  I, of course, will begin with my favorite of them all, Blink-182 and their top 15.  My process is relatively simple.  I go to a list of all the band's songs and write down the song names into a Word document that I initially believe could be included in this type of list.  For Blink-182, I jotted down 72 songs in total from Buddha to Neighborhoods, that I ultimately trimmed down to a top 15.  Since I have always had a fondness for the underdog, I will of course reveal the honorable mentions.  For the honorable mentions in these lists, I'll simply state the next batch of songs, the 15 that didn't make it after the top guns.  For Blink-182, the songs that just missed the cut were Stay Together for the Kids, First Date, Going Away to College, Go, Easy Target, Dumpweed, Dammit, Everytime I Look For You, Josie, I Won't Be Home for Christmas, Natives, Aliens Exist, Apple Shampoo, Wishing Well, & What's My Age Again?.


15 - Kaleidoscope (Neighborhoods)
Even though Blink-182 has two singers, it's safe to say that often times, Tom is the lead.  More often than not, Tom's voice is the first you hear in a tune while Mark's will come in for the chorus or provide backups.  Kaleidoscope is the exception to that rule, as the first words capture your ears as Mark introduces you to one of the best tracks off the new album, Neighborhoods.

14 - Anthem Part Two (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket)
One thing I realized while compiling this list was that of all the Blink-182 albums, some of the best compilations of songs I've ever heard, Take Off Your Pants & Jacket is probably my favorite from top to bottom.  Anthem Part Two is one of the heavyweights of the album for me, heavyweight meaning that when I think of the album, Anthem Part Two is one of the first songs that come to mind.

13 - Another Girl, Another Planet (Greatest Hits)
Another Girl, Another Planet is a song that wasn't featured off an original album, but rather their compilation CD, Blink-182's Greatest Hits.  This song was originally done by the band The Only Ones and was covered by Blink-182 initially for drummer Travis Barkers' MTV reality show opening.  The amazing part of this song was the fact that it was never released as an official single for the band, yet still manged to crack the U.S. Billboard Pop 100.  This was also the final song the band recorded before their hiatus that lasted 6 years.

12 - Reckless Abandon (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket)
The intro to this song is undeniably good.  The way Tom is carefully whispering the words into your ears over the background noise of the other band members, giving you that sense of being alone.  The sense of, if I may steal a lyric from Dark Blue by Jack's Mannequin, being alone in a crowded room.  On and on, reckless abandon.  Something's wrong, this is gonna shock them.  Nothing to hold on to.  We'll use this song to lead you on.  Absolutely fantastic, truthful, raw, and beautiful.

11 - Roller Coaster (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket)
Get ready to be used to hearing this, another song featured from the album Take Off Your Pants & Jacket.  Roller Coaster is one of those songs I've adored for many years, one that I never listen to without singing along.

10 - Don't Tell Me It's Over (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket) (Bonus Track)
This song was a bonus track featured on Take Off Your Pants & Jacket and also a compilation album made by a clothing company, Atticus: ...Dragging the Lake, Vol. 2.  It's a hidden gem, further motivating any and all Blink-182 fans to go out and find every last song by them, revealing that just because they weren't featured as the lead songs in an album doesn't mean it can't be a phenomenal track.  Blink-182 has a number of fantastic bonus/unreleased tracks that deserve recognition, many of them found on Take Off Your Pants & Jacket.

9 - The Rock Show (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket)
The Rock Show, featured off the album Take Off Your Pants & Jacket, has one of my favorite music videos of all time.  The trio takes the money given to them by the recording studio for the video and just goes nuts.  It's one of those videos I would have given anything to have just trailed along with them, the amount of fun they must have had making it is unfathomable.  A kickass video to accompany a kickass song.

8 - All the Small Things (Enema of the State)
Along with What's My Age Again?, All the Small Things (from the album Enema of the State) were the first two songs I ever heard from Blink-182.  I remember gravitating to this song as an 8 year old because I thought the music video was hilariously fantastic.  It was during the age of pop when 'Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc. were taking over MTV.  I used to love watching TRL on MTV and would flip a shit every time I saw All the Small Things break the monotony in the countdown.  Now look, more than a decade later and Blink-182 is still producing albums while most of the pop bands have long faded away.  Those opening guitar chords will forever have my heart & my ears.

7 - Shut Up (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket) 
Call me immature, but sometimes I just want to listen to a song laced with curse words everywhere. Maybe I'm in a pissy mood and I just want to drop some F-bombs or hell, I just feel like swearing.  Shut Up, off the album Take Off Your Pants & Jacket, is that song I immediately turn to whilst in one of those moods.

6 - Snake Charmer (Neighborhoods)
I adore this song.  One of those tracks where Tom has me completely hostage with his lyrics & the way he belts the vocals.  I was so badly anticipating this new album, that I was admittedly a bit worried my massive expectations would hinder my final opinion.  Fortunately, Mark, Tom, & Travis put to rest any sort of apprehension.  Snake Charmer is just one example of songs that managed to make Neighborhoods the EASY selection as my album of the year.  Perhaps of the past decade.

5 - What Went Wrong (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket) (Bonus Track)
Another example of a fantastic bonus track, lesser known by the general audience, that deserves an immense amount of recognition.  Between the pop punk classics & occasional funny tracks, Blink-182 will always sprinkle in some emotional/sad songs.  What Went Wrong is absolutely perfect in my eyes.  The quintessential break-up song for unrequited love.

4 - I Miss You (Blink-182)
Words cannot begin to describe how much I Miss You (off the self-titled Blink-182 album) means to me.  I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the history I have attached to this song, it probably would have troubles cracking the top 15, but regardless, it remains as one of my favorite Blink-182 songs ever.

3 - Stockholm Syndrome (Blink-182)
For many years, if someone were to ask me what my favorite Blink-182 song was, I often times responded by proclaiming this song, Stockholm Syndrome (off the self-titled album) as the top track.  I still adore it, but have to admit it's been knocked off by new songs & songs I've developed a deeper appreciation for.  This song is featured on the self-titled album (or untitled, depending on who you ask) which was a CD I was beyond obsessed with.  Meticulously listening and dissecting each track in my room, I have a deep appreciation and understand of this album that I will never let go of.

2 - After Midnight (Neighborhoods)
Talk about a tough choice here.  If you follow my song of the day posts, you'll know that After Midnight has established a mini dynasty over the past several months, being the only song to win it 3 separate times.  It's damn near impossible NOT to give this song the recognition of being my all-time favorite Blink-182 song, but memories of the past several weeks and a truthful debate in my head has decided this impeccable song is number two...to an all-time classic...

1 - Feeling This (Take Off Your Pants & Jacket)
Yes, I can't help but proclaim Feeling This (off Take Off Your Pants & Jacket, what else?) as my all-time favorite Blink-182 song.  It's so damn catchy and fun to listen to/sing along with.  Hearing this song live is an experience of a lifetime that I will forever hold with me and I'm glad I've since begun appreciating this song for what it is.  A perfect example of how spectacularly Blink-182, Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus, & Travis Barker can come together and make music.  The amazing drums anchoring the song by Travis get accompanied with the perfect combination of Mark & Tom switching off on giving me exploding eargasms.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's wrong to say that Tom is generally the lead singer. Sure, he does sing most songs on the last two albums, but overall most of their albums were 50-50 vocals-wise (or Mark heavy, like Enema or Dude Ranch). Also, Mark sings lead (or co-lead) vocals on almost every single so it evens it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I said that and I have since thought about it and regretted stating it. Perhaps the songs that stand out to me personally, often times have Tom as the lead? But you're absolutely right, the more I think about it, especially looking back on their early stuff, it's really fairly equal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean lol. Even though up until the self-titled album each of them sang exactly 50% of the songs, I still consider Dude Ranch and Enema of the State to be Mark heavy, and TOYPAJ Tom heavy. I guess it depends whose songs strike you the most on certain albums.

    ReplyDelete