Friday, August 17, 2012

Songs of Summer 2012

Around a year ago, I did a post documenting the songs that defined my summer in 2011.  I thought it would be a cool thing to do another one for 2012 - now that summer is pretty much over.  Last year was a summer where I zoned in on a core group of songs and listened to them over and over again.  This year is a bit different. As you'll see in this post, I had quite a number of songs that stood out to me.  Different genres and artists, it's actually pretty diverse, which is kinda unique for me.  I think I prefer this summer's crop of songs over last year's.


Shut Up - Blink-182
Shut the fuck up, she said. I'm going fucking deaf, you're always too loud.

Now that all my friends left, this place is fucking dead. I want to move out, when can we move out? This shit has got to stop - I'll run away. Get the fuck up, she said. Your life is meaningless, it's going nowhere. You're going nowhere. You're just a fuck up, she said. I'll live alone, instead, she said you don't care - I know I don't care.

I'll never ask permission from you. Fuck off, I'm not listening to you. I'm not coming home, I'm never going to come back home.

Tried to forget you, I can't forget you.

I'll think about the nights we had to get through. How did we get through?

I think it's time for me to leave - I'll run away.

Life Less Frightening - Rise Against
Suffering from something we're not sure of in a world, there is no cure for these lives we live. Test negative for happiness, flat line, no pulse, but eyes open. Single file like soliders on a mission. If there's no war outside our heads - why are we losing?

I don't ask for much. Truth be told, I'd settle for a life less frightening.

Hang me out to dry, I'm soaking with the sins of knowing what's gone wrong, but doing nothing. I still run. Time again, I have found myself stuttering. Foundations pulled out from under me, this breath is wasted on them all. Will someone answer me?

Is there a God tonight, up in the sky or is it empty just like me? A place where we can hide out from the night. Where you are all I see. So, blow a kiss goodbye, then close your eyes. Tell me what you see. A lifetime spent inside this dream of mine, where you are all I see.

Homesick - A Day to Remember
Everything around me seems so much different from where I'm from and at this rate I think my fate's been sealed. This life's so unpredictable. Well, go, continue to live a life that no one knows. Where's this gonna go?

Right here, right now, this is the beginning of the end. And I won't sing one single thing until we can get this right. I'm moving on.

Hey, mom, I wrote you some soft songs and tell dad I'm just fine. We had to choose, we made our moves and now we gotta go.

Everything about me seems so much different when I was young. I couldn't wait to take my place. Five years have passed, good God have I been gone? So why, I've never felt so alone in my whole life. Time's not on my side.

Why's this make me so nervous? Why does everything go wrong?

I'm holding on to a fairy tale. We're moving forward, but we're not there yet.

Forget About It - All Time Low
Seems like I'm making a deal with the devil who's whispering softly to me. Are you sure that she's the one?

I feel like a bad joke. Walk the tight rope to hold on to you. Was it real or a love scene from a bad dream? I don't think I can forget about it.

You are a shining example of why I don't sleep at all. Too many sheep on the brain to make sense of a late night call. Talking in circles and chasing a tale of love drawn distant memory.

You know, there are some days where I really feel like this could work, like you and I are finally gonna get it right. Then, there are days like today - where you make me wanna tear my fucking hair out.

Break Your Little Heart - All Time Low
Wide awake, my mistake, so predictable. You were fake, I was great, nothing personal. I'm walking, who's laughing now?

You talk for hours, but you're wasting lines. A pretty face, but the chase ain't worth the prize.

I'm gonna break your little heart, watch you take the fall, laughing all the way to the hospital. 'Cause there's nothing surgery can do, when I break your little heart in two.

You're falling, who's crashing now?

Show you to the door, sew yourself shut and now you're begging for more.

Don't be so sentimental, no. This love is accidental, so give it up, this was never meant to be more than a memory for you.

Still Breathing - Mayday Parade
Give me any reason to believe, 'cause I swear I'm done here. 'Cause I've seen a bigger picture and I'm looking for some answers. Tell me that it's worth it, 'cause I'm doing all I can to fight it. And I've never been this scared and my moment's finally here.

Time's racing, please slow down. I got to find my way out, I'm hopeless, but hoping. My lungs won't fail me now, 'cause I'm still breathing.

It's hard to be a man, but I'm doing all I can. I'm ready to give this all I have, I'm ready to be amazed. 'Cause I'm standing here alone, trying to make this life my own and nothing will keep this heart from beating.

Promise me some dignity if I were to stand and die here. 'Cause my heart is somewhere else, it's a pain I've never felt.

Thank You - Simple Plan
I thought that I could always count on you, I thought that nothing could become between us two. We said as long as we would stick together, we'd be alright, we'd be okay. But I was stupid and you broke me down. I'll never be the same again.

Thank you for showing me that best friends cannot be trusted. And thank you for lying to me. Your friendship and good times we had, you can have them back.

I won't forget what you did to me, how you showed me things I wish I'd never seen.

When the tabels turn again, you'll remember me, my friend. You'll be wishing I was there for you, I'll be the one you'll miss the most. But you'll only find my ghost. As time goes by, you'll wonder why you're all alone.

You Suck at Love - Simple Plan
We started off incredible, connection undeniable. I swear, I thought you were the one forever. But your love was like a loaded gun, you shot me down like everyone. 'Cause everyone's replaceable when you're just so incapable of getting past skin deep.

Guess what, another game over. I got burned, but you're the real loser. I don't know why I've wasted my time with you. You're bad news, a history repeater. You can't trust a serial cheater. You're good at hooking up, but you suck at love.

You played me like an amateur, then stabbed me like a murderer. I'm left for dead, another one of your victims. It's not like you're unpredictable, but your act is so believable. I know it's nothing personal, it's just business as usual. You're good at what you do.

Another day, another bed. It's just a game inside your head.

You've messed this whole thing up. Well, you were such an awesome fuck.

Backpackers - Childish Gambino
Alright, it's Childish baby, Mr. Talk About His Dick Again. Nerdy ass black kid, whatever, man, I'm sick of him. That well spoken, token, who ain't been heard. The only white rapper who's allowed to say the "N" word. I buy a bunch of 'em and put it on my black card. Now, I got some street cred, use it 'til it's maxed out. I got a girl on my arm, dude, show respect. Something crazy and Asian, Virginia Tech. She too fine, I do dimes, if not that, I'm walking out with two fives.

Fuck the cool kids, not Chuck Inglish, but people who think hatin' on me makes them distinguished. Like, "What is this nigga doin'? Rap is for real blacks, I hate that fucking faggot, man, he think that we feel that?" Or "I wrote on rape culture my junior year at Brown, so I'm allowed to say what all his raps are about." You better shut your mouth before I fuck it. You really hate my lyrics now or Kid Cudi's?

Got signed, it's an anomaly. No cosign, trigonometry.

Old niggas wanna assassinate me. It's a shame, these kids was supposed to save rap. Fuck that, boat shoes and a wave cap. He don't give back, how the fuck a nigga say that?

I'm comin' on some real shit, I'm comin' on her Facebook. Fuck a backpacker with a rhino's dick, I do me like a gyno chick.

Freaks and Geeks - Childish Gambino
Alright, Gambino is a mastermind, fuck a bitch to pass the time. Mass appeal, orange rind, smoke your green, I'm spendin' mine. The beat is witches brew, but beware this shit is potent. E.E. cummin' on her face, now that's poetry in motion.

These girls be actin' crazy when they're dancin' - Black Swan. I ain't fuckin' at the club, put your clothes back on. This beat is a disaster, 9/11 this track. Rappers wanna battle me, I have to mail their heads back.

My dick is too big, there's a big bang theory. Got her picture in my iPhone, what do y'all think? While y'all niggas masturbate, I'm in that Ariel Pink.

I'm down with the black girls of every single culture. Filipino, Armenian girls on my sofa. Yeah, I like a white girl, sometimes we get together. Need a thick chick, though, so it's black and yellow, black and yellow. Love is a trip, but fuckin' is a sport. Are there Asian girls here? Minority report. Put your team on the map, Blake Griffin on the court.

I got some pussy that was insane, so insane, it's an enemy of Batman. I'm dominant, niggas call me faggot 'cause they closeted.

Chillin' with my "N" words, say it like a white kid. Yes, your booty's big as hers, say that to my white bitch so she don't get embarrased, my dick is made of carrots. Bunnies wantin' to be fed and I meant honeys, oh forget it. I have worked all winter, I will not fail summer.  In the back of the bush, like Gavin Rossdale's drummer. Yeah, my stinger's in her flower, I hope she lets me pollinate. Workin' hard as shit, yeah this beat is made from concentrate. Nigga, can't you tell that my sample of Adele was so hot, I got these hood niggas blowin' up my cell? Swag out the ass, I'm the man, fuck chico. Took the "G" out your waffle, all you got left is your ego. Think about it for a second, man we eatin', where's your breakfast? Man, you hungry, have this sandwich. Got my wallet, cheese, and lettuce. An elephant never forgets, so my dick remembers everything. Green inside your wallet, is that pussy open sesame? Running the game, fuck am I sayin', runnin' the Earth, give me a month. Told all you niggas I'm in it to win it 'cause havin' an Emmy just wasn't enough. You get sloppy drunk, I stay whiskey neat. My clique should be cancelled - Freaks and Geeks.

Not Going Back - Childish Gambino
It seems like they all want me to fail, but I'm not goin' back, not goin' back, baby. Please, tell me you don't want me to fail.

I coulda been a tragedy, that's why these fake niggas who call me pussy are mad at me. 'Cause they ain't have the smarts or the heart.

I was never gonna stay the same, all I ever really wanted was to change the game. Spent the year kickin' ass and takin' names.

Mama told me I was special when them test scores came in, callin' me the new Will Smith, that's Jaden. Callin' me a faggot when I'm rappin, that's hatin'.

All the bitches is fake, you think about your old girl and how breakin' up's a mistake. Black dudes assume I'm closeted or kinda gay. White people confused like girl on Glee or Gabourey. IAmDonald is a full-time job, these niggas want me to fail so they can write me off.

Dirty girls love my dick, they're cockroaches. Jewish girls eat my meat, it's not kosher. Relax, black chick, I think that I have offended thee. Got nothing against the sistas, I just don't think they're into me. I am not a thug, AKA what they pretend to be. I am just myself, AKA my worst enemy. Yeah, bitch, cut the swag with a fuckin' knife, I come hard like my life keep her pussy tight. It's cool, though, it's all good. You want a dude who keep it real and stay hood. I'm sorry, baby, but I act me. I don't act black, whatever that be. I'm just happy these girls seem into me now, yeah they lookin' for some In-N-Out, animal style. With this lettuce, cheese, bread, makin' sandwiches.

Ran into Rashida Jones, told me that she heard my song. When I called her mixed like the crowd at my last show she said to write her somethin' nice on the next track, but she cute, so I wrote her ass a whole rap. Man, I threw that shit away, it felt dumb. Believe me, it was bad, we're better off, you're welcome. I worked hard on that song, like day and night. That whole song, made this one verse crazy, right? I guess it all goes somewhere, you know that. Like that bullshit you talked before Culdesac. I didn't know he had it in him. Couldn't see me as Spider-Man, but now I'm spittin' venom. Now you payin' attention, pick your fuckin' face up. When I wanna be a superhero, I just wake up. Renaissance man with a Hollywood buzz. I refuse to go back to not likin' who I was.

Your voice was screaming too loud. I know what you're ready to be, but it isn't with me, so I'm ready to leave you alone. I don't really wanna fight like this, I don't ever wanna lose your kiss. All I ever wanted was someone to hold on to.

Last Chance to Lose Your Keys - Brand New
I cashed in all my chips tonight and combed my hair 'til it was just right. 'Cause I've been thinking about you and me, girl, and we got something going on. You told me you can't wait to see me and then you don't bother to even show up. This whole situation is incredibly typical, I shoulda seen it all along.

It's girls like you that make me think I'm better off home on a Saturday night with all my doors locked up tight. I won't be thinking about you, baby.

You call me on the phone and you don't even want to talk. You're staring at me from across the room then turn your back when I walk up. We got inches away and I never even got close. So, leave your lipstick at home, don't pick up the phone. Don't bother to look in my direction.

Forget everything you think you know about me.

Soco Amaretto Lime - Brand New
Tonight will go on forever while we walk around this town like we own the streets and stay awake through the summer like we own the heat.

Cut me open.

This offer stands forever.

I'm gonna stay 18 forever, so we can stay like this forever. And we'll never miss a party, 'cause we'll keep them going constantly.

You're just jealous 'cause I'm young and in love.

Your stomach's filled up but you're starved for conversation.

You're spending all your nights growing old in your bed.

You're tearing up your photos 'cause you wanna forget it's over.

Seventy Times 7 - Brand New
Back in school, they never taught us what we needed to know. Like, how to deal with despair or someone breaking your heart. For 12 years I've held it all together, but a night like this is begging to pull me apart. I played it quiet, left you deep in conversation. I felt uncool and hung around the kitchen. I remember I kept thinking that I know you never would and now I know I want to kill you like only a best friend could.

Everyone's caught on to everything you do.

As if this happening wasn't enough, I got to go and write a song just to remind myself how bad it sucked. Ignore the sun, the cover's over my head. I wrote a message on my pillow that says "Jesse, stay asleep in bed." So, don't apologize, I hope you choke and die. Search your cell for something with which to hang yourself. They say you need to pray if you want to go to heaven, but they don't tell you what to say when your whole life has gone to hell.

I can't let you let me down again.

Is that what you call a getaway? Tell me what you got away with. 'Cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish, I've seen more guts in 11-year-old kids. Have another drink and drive yourself home. I hope there's ice on all the roads and you can think of me when you forget your seat belt and again when your head goes through the windshield.

And is that what you call tact? You're as subtle as a brick in the small of my back. So, let's end this call and end this conversation.

You left the frays from the ties you severed when you say best friends means friends forever.

All Downhill From Here - New Found Glory
You're hiding something, 'cause it's burning through your eyes. I try to get it out, but all I hear from you are lies.

I can tell you're going through the motions. I figured you were acting out your part. Once again, we're playing off emotion. Which one of us will burn until the end?

You insist to pull me down. You contradict the fact that you still want me around. And it's all downhill from here.

Your good intentions slowly turn to bitterness.

I can't believe you pulled it off again or notice 'til it all sets in. You'll deny it 'til you're at your bitter end.

You keep pulling me down.

Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part to Save the Scene and Stop Going to Shows) - Fall Out Boy
This has been said so many times that I'm not sure if it matters.

I'm mailing letters to addresses in a ghost town.

I know this hurts, it was meant to. Your secret's out and the best part is, it isn't even a good one. And it's mind over you don't, don't matter.

Bullet - Hollywood Undead
My legs are dangling off the edge, the bottom of the bottle is my only friend. I think I'll slit my wrists again and I'm gone, gone, gone, gone.

Gone too far, yeah, I'm gone again. It's gone on too long, tell you how it ends. I'm sitting on the edge with my two best friends. One's a bottle of pills and one's a bottle of gin. I'm 20 stories up, yeah, up at the top. I've polished off this bottle, now it's pushing me off. Asphalt to me has never looked so soft, I bet my momma found my letter, now she's calling the cops. I've gotta take this opportunity before I miss it, 'cause now I hear the sirens and they're off in the distance. Believe me when I tell you that I've been persistent. 'Cause I'm more scarred, more scarred than my wrist is. I've been trying too long with too dull of a knife, but tonight I made sure that I sharpended it twice. I never bought a suit before in my lfie, but when you go to meet God, you know you wanna look nice.

When you can't sleep, well, you can't dream. When you can't dream, well, what's life mean? We feel pity, but don't empathize, the old are getting older, watch a  young man die. A mother and her son and someone you know smile at each other and realize you don't. You don't know what happened to that kid you raised.

Now momma feels guilt, yeah, momma feels pain. When you were young, you never thought you'd die. Found that you could but too scared to try, looked in the mirror and you said goodbye. Climbed to the roof to see if you could fly.

If I survive, then I'll see you tomorrow.

I wish that I could fly, way up in the sky. Like a bird so high, oh, I might just try.

Letters to God - Box Car Racer
Caught off guard, all worked up. The air is as dark and cold as night. Let me go, I'm not done. I swear, I'll take just one lifetime.

I won't lie. I won't sin. Maybe, I don't wanna go. Can't you wait?

I should've asked, I could've helped at least a fucking 1,000 times before.

Niggas in Paris - Jay-Z and Kanye West
We're going to skate to one song and one song only.

I ball so hard motherfuckers wanna fine me, first niggas gotta find me. What's 50 grand to a motherfucker like me, can you please remind me? This shit crazy, y'all know that don't shit faze me. The Nets could go 0 for 82 and I'd look at you like this shit gravy.

Psycho, I'm liable to go Michael, take your pick. Jackson, Tyson, Jordan, game 6.

If you escaped what I've escaped, you'd be in Paris getting fucked up too.

Bitch, behave, just might let you meet 'Ye. Chi-town's D-Rose, I'm moving the Nets to B.K.

Doctors say I'm the illest, 'cause I'm suffering from realness. Got my niggas in Paris they going gorillas. Huh? I don't even know what that means. No one knows what it means, but it's provocative. No, it's not, it's gross. Gets the people going.

You are now watching the throne, don't let me get in my zone.

My Friend Peter - Alkaline Trio
I don't care who you've been sleeping with these days. You're outta my hair, it's growing just above my smiling face that I wear. Every night, I drink myself to sleep, not thinking about you, not thinking about anything at all. I don't care who you've been dining with these days. It's more than fair, much rather be drinking anyways with my friend Peter, who lives so fucking far away. Yet, not as far as you, even though you live right down my fucking street.

I'm tired of sleeping with myself. I'm tired, all these drinks and drugs no longer help. I'm tired of lying about not thinking of you.

I don't care who you've been kissing on these days. It's out of my hands and in my mouth with such a pleasant taste, I need a beer to wash it all away, without a trace. And then I'll drink 23 more to wipe this stupid smile off my fucking face.

Overwhelmed - Tim McMorris
From the first time I saw you, I knew that you'd be mine. And from the first glance you gave, my world, it slowed, you stopped the time.

You make me laugh and showed me how just how good this life can be.

I am overwhelmed by you, am overcome with joy. You've taken me higher and shown me what love can do.

There's something in your smile that gives me strength to carry on. And there's something in your words that lingers, even when you're gone.

I could sing a thousand songs about you, still, that would not do. There's a million tiny things that make the things that you do, you. I wouldn't trade our time together, wouldn't trade for anything. 'Cause nothing else here in the world can bring the happiness you bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment