Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Random Review (Pineapple Express)

Been a bit of time since I've last done one of these reviews, but between work and writing a lot more sports articles - really haven't had a ton of time to do this.  It's okay, though, because with these series of posts, I never really gave myself any set deadline.  It's just something I can do whenever I'm bored.  I have the day off today and, well, I'm bored!  The first time I saw Pineapple Express, I didn't really enjoy it that much.  I chuckled here and there, but it certainly wouldn't be considered a Top 100 movie of mine (like it is now).  It was one of those flicks that I gave a second chance and it paid off.

If this is your first Random Review and you're wondering what the fuck I'm doing, I just randomized my DVD collection and decided for shits and giggles, I would watch each one and review it.


File:Pineapple express.jpg
The first time I watched this movie, it was on my tiny iPod screen, while lying in bed, after I had, *ahem,* purchased it online.  I, initially, thought it was a try-hard movie - meaning it was a comedy trying really hard to be a badass action flick.  James Franco as Saul DID stand out to me, though.  I loved his character from the beginning and he saved the movie for me, at first.  It wasn't until a little while later, when I gave it another viewing, that I realized just how funny this movie is.  Seth Rogen as Dale is solid enough, but I really came to realize the genius of Danny McBride as Red.  His character is so hilarious to me and the combination of him and Franco is a deadly comedic duo.

The movie is about a mid-twenties pot head who drives around handing out subpoenas to people being served.  He, seemingly, has two close people in his life - one being his high school senior girlfriend, Angie (the super cute Amber Heard) and his drug dealer, Saul.  Dale isn't thrilled about being close with his drug dealer, at first, but the two of them grow closer throughout the movie as they try to run away and hide after a drug kingpin realizes Dale witnessed him murder someone.  Saul is involved because of the weed he exclusively sold to Dale was left at the scene of the crime.  The murdering crime lord was the one who provided the Pineapple Express to Saul - which kicks off an oddly exciting series of events.  From hiding in the woods, selling weed to minors, getting arrested, kicking a hole in a police car's windshield, and Dale having dinner with his girlfriend's parents - this movie has quite a few twists and turns.  The movie transitions from a strictly comedy movie to an action, of sorts, with as much gun fire and explosions as you'll ever see in a comedy.

Officer Brazier (Rosie Perez) is introduced as the drug lord's (Gary Cole, played by Ted Jones) partner in crime, along with Budlofsky and Matheson (played by the hilarious duo of Kevin Corrigan and Craig Robinson).  There's plenty of action sequences throughout this movie, but my favorite part of this movie is the EPIC fight scene between Saul, Red, and Dale.  Dale and Saul realize that Red has been selling them out to the bad guys and proceed to confront him in his home.  Bongs, bathroom sinks, toilets, and vases are all objects used in this fantastic fight scene and the dialogue to go along with it is hilarious.  The only other scene in this movie that is as good, to me, as that one, is the final one.  It's basically the three of them sitting in a diner, completely wrecked, summarizing the entire movie for the audience.  I could listen to the three of those actors improvise and crack jokes all day long.

The DVD has plenty of fun bonus features to keep you entertained for hours after the movie has ended.  You always seem to get that with a Judd Apatow/Seth Rogen flick and it doesn't go unnoticed.  There's a second disc's worth of bonus features and you can never go wrong with Danny McBride, Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, and James Franco on commentary.

My Rating - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment