Sunday, August 7, 2011

Songs of Summer 2011

     I wrote a blog post late last night but after reading it over, decided that it wasn't something I wanted published, so I deleted it and went on my merry way.  I still had the urge to write & post something so that's where this idea comes in.  This summer my iPod has got quite a lot of usage.  I don't think a day didn't go by where the little beautiful thing & I didn't have some quality time.  The title of this post would imply that I'm basing it on the most popular songs across the world during this summer.  That is not the case.  These are the songs that I personally have been obsessed with all summer long.  A couple of these songs are years old while some of them are from just recently.  The only criteria that had to be met is they drastically increased their playcount on my iPod and just struck a chord with me...and boy did they ever hit me.  So without any further ado, it's my songs of summer 2011.

Of course I'm going to start off with 'All I Want' by A Day to Remember.  I've done an entire post dedicated to this song, there's not much else I can say about it.  Amazing song, I love that I was able to see them play it live last month at Warped Tour.
'All I want is a place to call my own, to mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone.'
This is an older song that I just got into this past year.  There's a verse in this song that is one of my favorite verses in all of music.  
'I've never told a lie and that's makes me a liar.  I've never made a bet but we gamble with desire.  I've never lit a match with intent to start a fire but recently the flames are getting out of control.  Call me a name, kill me with words, forget about me.  It's what I deserve'
The 2nd song from A Day to Remember.  There's a reason this band has been my favorite band this past year  (although don't get it twisted, Blink-182 will ALWAYS be number 1 in the long run) but this song is so amazing to me.  The fact that this song and 'All I Want' are featured on the same album just makes me absolutely adore the CD.  I've been listening to A Day to Remember non-stop all summer long for a reason.
'I hate this town, it's so washed up and all my friends don't give a fuck.  They'll tell me that it's just bad luck.  When will I find where I fit in?'
This was probably the most emotional song of the summer.  The lyrics are beyond perfect.  I'm not surprised it was Mayday Parade that was able to hit me with a song as hard as they did with this one.
'This was supposed to be the easy part but breaking down is what I found hard.  Now I'm wearing this smile that I don't believe in.  Inside I feel like screaming'
I LOVE these lyrics.  It's no secret that I'm a sucker for songs with amazing lyrics, you can have a face melting guitar solo, but if your lyrics/singer suck, then I'm done.  I've listened to this song for years but this summer was the first time I REALLY listened to it and there's a reason it's on this list.
'I've had enough of your games, if you're not trembling, you'd better be.  'Cause we're gonna be the end of you.  I've had enough of your games, I'm gonna show them who you really are and I can tell you right now, it won't be pretty'
This song has been a favorite of mine for years now.  I think it's such a beautiful song and if you are familiar with other songs by Forever the Sickest Kids, you'd know how much of a change of pace it is for the band.  Just one of those songs that when it comes up on my iPod, I have to stop and listen to it every time.
'And I just need a little time, 'cause I've over committed myself.  I guess this is growing up.  I'm sleeping so little these days, I guess this is growing up.  I'm feeling things are about to change, I'm guessing this is growing up.'
I don't even need to write anything about this.  My all-time favorite band since junior high releases their first song from a new album for the first time since 2003.  September is consistently the worst month of the year for me, but Blink-182 dropping their new album will certainly soften the blow.  Tom & Mark singing in harmony is as close to Heaven as it gets for me.
'Let me get this straight, do you want me here?  As I struggle through each and every year and all these demons, they keep me up all night'
Brand New has always been a band many of my friends LOVED and I never really got into them.  This is the song by them that I hear and I can understand why people love them so much.  
'Tell all the English boys you meet, about the American boy back in the states, the American boy you used to date, who would do anything you say'
Jack's Mannequin is a flat-out amazing band.  Andrew McMahon is such an inspiration, he survived cancer and his singing is beautiful.  I could never get tired of listening to this band.  'I'm Ready' has one of my favorite lines in a song ever.
'...all at once I realize...and you're getting away...my life has become a boring pop song and everyone's singing along'
I told you I could never get tired of listening to Jack's Mannequin.  'Dark Blue' has been a consistent song I've listened to on my iPod for years now.  It makes sense that I spent yet another summer listening to it.  It's a beautiful song that will always have a special place in my heart for a multitude of reasons.
'Have you ever been alone in a crowded room?'
This may be my favorite song of the summer.  The melody and lyrics are amazing to me, every time it came on, I listened to it.  Easily one of my favorite songs of all-time.
'I've been waiting for answers, dancing in circles, making me sick.  I've been chained like a tiger to hundreds of liars all holding hands'
Third song by A Day to Remember.  I probably could do a Song of Summer 2011 post using ONLY A Day to Remember songs.  This was definitely their summer.  I particularly love this song because it's basically a big 'fuck you' to all the so-called fans who bash a band because they make it big or change their musical style.  I absolutely detest the term 'sell-out.'  So a band goes ahead and signs a deal to make huge amounts of money to do something they love, let's bash them!  You just sound like a bitter & jealous little twerp when you talk like that and I lose all respect for assholes like that.
'I'm gonna need you to try to follow along.  I did the best that I could to try and write you songs.  Now go tell them we sold out, like we're the ones who changed.  I write what I feel, I say what I mean, you can't buy sincerity'
Hollywood Undead is one of those bands that I have listened to for as long as I can remember.  Their sound has drastically changed over the year, but they'll always be awesome to me.  They've changed their singer and I haven't totally got into them since.  This is a newer song by them that I really enjoyed this summer though.
'I spent my whole life choosing and I always chose wrong.  Will I try to have the will to be alive?  Will I try because I've never seen the light?  Blow it to the ground and it's now you see, you spent your whole life taking the best of me'
If you asked me to name another song by There For Tomorrow, I couldn't do it.  But this is a hell of a song for me to know.  The chorus is so damn catchy and always gets stuck in my head, love everything about this song.  I'm sure my love for this song will propel me to eventually, finally, check out more of their stuff.
'Hold your breath now, the bad blood's wearing thin.  From the pain that settles in when we learn too much too soon'

     So that's it, a pretty decent amount of songs that perfectly describe my summer of 2011.  These songs were listened to damn near every time I laid in bed at night listening to my iPod.  Go to my iTunes and these songs are all near the top of the list of most played.  I have 5000+ songs on my iPod and decided to make a playlist a few months back.  All of these songs and about 150 more are all included on that playlist called 'Ol' Reliable.'  The songs that I never skip, my favorite songs.  I had a lot of fun doing this post, I'm glad I did it.  I truly appreciate the bands who made these amazing songs.  I've always been a person who couldn't give a shit less what people think of the music I listen to, nor do I care what others listen to.  If the music speaks to you and hits you in an emotional way that sticks with you forever, that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment