Monday, May 7, 2012

Song of the Day

Usually I do a song of the day post at around midnight, but I was beyond tired last night so I decided to just go to bed at 11:45 PM.  I've always said it is so much easier to get myself to go to bed when I'm tired when I feel like I have no reason to be awake.  Too often I stay up all night because I think there's a reason for me to be up when there really isn't.  Anyway, I went to the Cubs game yesterday & it was one I'll remember for a long time.  It was a 1:20 CST start, scheduled at least, because it didn't start until 4:00 CST due to a very long rain delay.  Luckily, our original seats for the game were located under the 2nd deck of Wrigley Field, so we were protected from Mother Nature's fury.  I say original seats because as we were walking towards the park, some random guy who looked like Hurley from Lost offered us 2 tickets to the game.  You can't go walking around any ballpark without hearing someone offering to sell and/or buy tickets, so we usually drown them out.  The thing that stopped us was this guy offered us FREE tickets.  He couldn't make the game and just handed us 2 tickets at field level right in line with home plate.  Uh, THANKS!  

One of the best seats I've ever had to a Cubs game and it was a good one.  Travis Wood made his debut for the Cubs since they traded for him during the offseason & despite a rocky start, he really did pitch well.  I liked what I saw.  I also liked that sitting directly in front of us was a very attractive young lady with her adorable toddler kid.  I was curious as to why she was sitting so close but by herself.  It hit me when Travis Wood came up to bat & nailed a double down the 3rd base line & she started clapping & cheering for Wood.  She was Travis' wife & she was a trooper for sticking around the entire game with her awesome kid.  The Cubs were facing a top team in baseball, the Los Angeles Dodgers, & they left so many men on base early on, it was tough to watch.  Luckily, I got myself a Cubs plastic helmet filled with nachos to curb my frustration.  It was a 3-2 game going into the bottom of the 9th, last chance for the Cubs, & they managed to tie it, finally giving what was left of the crowd after the long rain delay some excitement.  The game went into the 11th inning when the Cubs managed to get the bases loaded & walked in the winning run for the wall-off win.  Go Cubs Go blared in Wrigley & all the fans who waited out the brutal rain delay & extra inning affair FINALLY got to go home happy after being there, some of which, for 6 or 7 hours.  I walked out of Wrigley giving highfives to Wood's hot wife & adorable little son feeling good.

The Fold's rendition of Let's Go Cubbies! is the song of the day.  I love The Fold & was quite thrilled when I heard they had won a contest held by WGN Radio (the station that broadcasts Cubs games) to dub the new Cubs theme song for the year.  They may not be a very good team, but hell if the Cubs aren't at least entertaining this year & on the right track.  Play the rookies, get rid of the underachieving & overpaid bums, get young, live through the growing pains...it's gonna pay off eventually.


1st tally for The Fold, 1st tally for Let's Go Cubbies!

Let's Go Cubbies! - The Fold

No comments:

Post a Comment